Saturday, August 22, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

Dustin and I went to Inglourious Basterds on Friday at Shiloh 14. The film is Quentin Tarantino's take on WWII.

The film follows a couple of story lines. The Inglourious Basterds are a troup of Jewish American Soldiers lead by Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) who are set out to kill every Nazi they encounter and are eventually tasked with taking out members of the Third Reich. The other story line follows a young Jewish girl who saw her family executed by the Nazis and she narrowly escaped. She flees to Paris and takes on a new identity as the owner of a cinema. She finds herself in a position to get revenge on the Nazis and her plans coincidentally overlap with those of the Inglorious Basterds. We watch to see if either one of their plans will succeed in the end.

I don't pretend to be a film critic of any sort. I just know if I liked a movie or I didn't and I thought this was an excellent movie. 1) It had a great bad guy to love to hate (double oximorons there, I know). 2) Brad Pitt had a stellar performance (you will love his character). 3) And you know how certain movies kind of suck you in and when it's over you kind of feel like you were there right along with the characters kicking ass?...Obviously, I can't explain it clearly, but it was like that.

There are graphic parts (i.e., scalping) that will make you want to look away and your stomach turn but that's to be expected with a Tarantino film.
blog comments powered by Disqus